Blog   Community

Multiple Summits for MS

|  Posted by

We sat down with Ryan Chase, UMB vice president and private banking client manager in Denver, to discuss an organization that’s become his personal mission: Multiple Summits 4 Multiple Sclerosis.

Continue Reading

MS4MS Team UMB Quandary PeakWhat is Multiple Summits?

Multiple Summits 4 Multiple Sclerosis (MS4MS) is an annual fundraising event for the Rocky Mountain MS Center. Teams can sign up for a day they want to climb a 14er. Or you can go it alone and participate as an individual.

When did you get involved?

It all started when I was almost diagnosed with MS in 2006/2007. I saw numerous doctors and eventually was labeled at-risk for MS. I knew I would make the best of it no matter what happened, but the thought of having MS terrified me. The doctors monitored me for one year. In February 2008, I had more tests and the doctors found no progression. The neurologists told me that unless there was any major change in symptoms, I probably didn’t have MS. Relieved doesn’t even begin to describe how I felt.

But I knew others weren’t as lucky. I wanted to get involved with the Rocky Mountain MS Center to make a difference for those who are diagnosed with MS. This wonderful organization is doing some amazing work to educate others about MS and raise money for research to find treatments and hopefully a cure for this debilitating disease. I told them my story and ended up joining the board in 2008.

Then in 2009, I planned to climb Mount Rainier. At first I was only doing it for fun but then I decided to create a fundraising webpage to raise money for the climb. Funding is critical to the work we’re doing at the MS Center and I thought a fundraiser like this would help. I ended up raising $2,000 for the MS Center. When I got back from that climb I decided that I wanted to try it on a larger scale. That simple idea has expanded into what MS4MS is today.

How has it evolved since then?

MS4MS was a grassroots effort in the beginning, but we raised $20,000 in the first year alone. We doubled that the second year, collecting $40,000 from 20 teams. By the third year we formed an official MS4MS committee through the Rocky Mountain MS Center. The program really began to grow that year with 22 teams raising $75,000. We also began accepting corporate sponsors.

How many years has UMB participated?

UMB has supported the program now for two years, acting as a corporate sponsor and encouraging Colorado associates to climb a 14er. This year, nine UMB associates raised money and climbed for the event.

Promoting healthy lifestyles in our associates is an important part of UMB’s company culture. Supporting and promoting MS4MS is just one of the many ways we do this.

MS4MS Team UMB Quandary Peak with SignSome of Team UMB at the top of Quandary Peak. From left to right: Chris Ross, Jenny Boyle, Caleb Hester, Ed Cannon

How much money did the event raise this year?

This year the goal was to raise $80,000. We’re continuing fundraising efforts until October 31, but we are well on our way and we will most likely surpass our goal. We had 225 people register to climb and currently we have raised a little more than $70,000.

Why is Multiple Summits important to you?

As a board member, I know how critical funding dollars are to help with the continuous effort to support the Rocky Mountain MS Center and how important the research is to find a cure for MS. Our partner doctors need the financial support to continue their efforts in finding a cure and progressive treatments for this disease. MS4MS helps the Rocky Mountain MS Center operate. Having gone through the process of a possible MS diagnosis was extremely eye-opening to me and I am proud of what many committed individuals have accomplished in a short period of time.

When you click links marked with the “‡” symbol, you will leave UMB’s website and go to websites that are not controlled by or affiliated with UMB. We have provided these links for your convenience. However, we do not endorse or guarantee any products or services you may view on other sites. Other websites may not follow the same privacy policies and security procedures that UMB does, so please review their policies and procedures carefully.

Ryan Chase is a vice president and private banking client manager at UMB Bank, n.a. He is responsible for building and maintaining affluent client relationships through fulfilling credit, banking and investment needs. He has worked for UMB for six years. He has a bachelor’s degree in Sociology from Lake Forest College in Lake Forest, Ill.

Leave a Comment

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The business of doing good: How to manage your non-profit’s finances

|  Posted by

Jason DoyleColorado Springs boasts some truly beautiful scenery. But did you know this scenic city is also home to nearly 2,000 non-profit organizations? Recently UMB hosted a group of almost 40 representatives from some of these local non-profits to talk with them about a variety of financial management tips for non-profit organizations. A panel of UMB experts shared information on topics like treasury management, purchasing cards, investment management, and endowments/foundations.

Continue Reading

The non-profit sector is a growing field, not only in Colorado Springs but across the country. Non-profit organizations give back millions of dollars to their communities each year, but they’re also important to the local and national economy. Public charities made up 12% of the 13.24 trillion GDP in 2010 (Urban Institute Press). In fact, non-profit employee numbers went up during the financial crisis, when much of the private sector full-time employee (FTE) numbers were going down.

The organizations that thrive combine streamlined fundraising processes, supporter/employee enthusiasm and buy-in, a strong relationship with their bank and a sound financial structure to manage the funds for the organization. Today I’ll address the fundraising component.

Fundraising Processes
Is your donation and collecting process easy? Your supporters will appreciate simple donation methods, making them more likely to donate again. Streamlining the process to collect funds can save money to go back to your organization and enhance the work you are doing to better your community. Here are some ways to simplify your fundraising process:

• Consider a multi-channel electronicMobile phone donation received billing and payment solution. You can speed up the cash flow process and possibly increase recurring donors by giving them flexibility with how they can donate. For example, you could use a mobile phone application to gain followers who will then regularly donate to your organization. The increasingly popular text-to-give or text-to-donate programs are an excellent example of this.
  • Look for a program with a high level of automation to streamline the fundraising process and reduce cost. A program with more automation is also likely to have reporting capability. Fundraising reporting provides valuable information you can use to track donation trends and find your strengths and weaknesses in the various channels you use to collect funds.
  • Give your supporters plenty of options on how to donate in addition to electronic solutions. This can be something as simple as a donation box at your next event. Don’t ignore low-tech forms of giving in an effort to chase the next big technology trend. Smart phones are more widely-used all the time, but don’t assume that you should invest all your efforts into mobile giving apps. People like to have options and you never want to inhibit your supporters’ ability to donate.

Fundraising is a top priority for any non-profit, but smart and streamlined fundraising is what will take your organization to the next level.

Be sure to check out my upcoming blogs that will cover supporter and employee enthusiasm, strong bank partnerships and finally, sound financial structure.

When you click links marked with the “‡” symbol, you will leave UMB’s website and go to websites that are not controlled by or affiliated with UMB. We have provided these links for your convenience. However, we do not endorse or guarantee any products or services you may view on other sites. Other websites may not follow the same privacy policies and security procedures that UMB does, so please review their policies and procedures carefully.

Mr. Doyle is community bank president for UMB’s Colorado Springs region. He is responsible for guiding strategic direction in the Colorado Springs region as a member of the Colorado management team. He joined UMB in 2011 and has eight years of experience in the financial services industry. He earned a bachelor’s degree in finance from Florida State University in Tallahassee, Fla. and a master’s degree in business administration from Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Okla.

Leave a Comment

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Sporting KC: An outstanding community partner

|  Posted by

Each year, nearly 60,000 kids in Missouri and Kansas take part in some sort of community soccer club. Many of you most likely have a memory of either playing the game with friends growing up, or maybe you have kids who look forward to playing games on Saturday mornings.

Continue Reading

Who would have thought five years ago that Kansas City would be the self-described Soccer Capital of America? We like our tailgates, football and baseball, but in the past soccer hasn’t been part of the fabric of our community … until now. What Sporting KC has been able to do in promoting soccer in Kansas City and creating the ultimate fan experience is impressive.

Sporting KC’s brand stands for quality. It stands for innovation, strength, stability and imagination. And most importantly, it stands for community – after all, “We believe that we will win,” right? UMB shares those same values and that winning spirit, and I’m excited to announce our new partnership with Sporting KC.

For the past 100 years, we’ve been an active community partner, not only in Kansas City, but across our footprint. The excitement Sporting KC has created for the sport and the community is unrivaled. The experience they have created for their fans has been met with worldwide recognition and a fan base that will literally travel the world to cheer on our hometown soccer team.

I am incredibly thankful for the leadership and team of Sporting KC. They have made a tremendous investment in the community through the new stadium and all of their philanthropic activities. At UMB we have that same strong commitment to give back and this powerful partnership will make an even greater impact to Kansas City.

We look forward to seeing you at Sporting Park.

MuralUMB Field Club

Mr. deSilva is president and chief operating officer of UMB Financial Corporation. He is also vice chairman of UMB Bank, n.a. Mr. deSilva joined UMB in January 2004. He is primarily responsible for UMB's fee-producing business units and product lines, including Scout Investments; UMB Fund Services, UMB Healthcare Services Payment Solutions, Prairie Capital Management. Additionally, he is responsible for all corporate operations, technology, properties, security and marketing.

Leave a Comment

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

UMB CANstruction: A food drive for Harvesters – The Community Food Network

|  Posted by

Pit Crew (front)For the second year in a row, UMB organized a fun, creative food drive for Harvesters – The Community Food Network called UMB CANstruction at our headquarters in downtown Kansas City. This event is quickly becoming an associate favorite around here and I can see why.

Continue Reading

UMB CANstruction has grown to include more than 100 associates making up 10 teams this year. Each team built an artistic structure, using cans, non-perishable foods and occasionally wooden boards to stabilize the designs. The competition was used to raise awareness about hunger in Kansas City.  Our associates showed some amazing creativity this year. Some of the unique structures included:

• Sprint Center replica
  • Top Gun airplane
  • Etch-a-Sketch to etch out hunger
  • Kansas Speedway
  • Andy Warhol painting replica made of soup cans

All of the food used to make each 8′ x 8′ structure was donated to Harvesters at the end of the campaign. UMB also conducted an online donation drive and provided more than five tons of food for hungry children and families in Kansas City.

We added a little element of competition this year by giving our associates the opportunity to vote online for their favorite structure during the week they were on display. Take a look at the winning designs below.

Best Meal: Etch Out Hunger
Design that would create the tastiest meal based on CANstruction ingredients

Etch Out Hunger

Best Theme: Pit Crew
Best creativity and execution of the theme

Pit Crew (side)

Best Use of Labels: More than a CANstruction
Design that uses can labels most artistically

More than a CANstruction

Harvesters Food Bank Award: Operation: Wingman
Best use of healthy foods and those on Harvesters’ most-needed food list

Operation Wingman (front)

Jurors’ Favorite: UMB Feed KC
Best in show design that wows the judges

UMB Feed KC

Structural Ingenuity: Sprint to End Hunger
Design that is the most technically sound without the use of stabilizers

Sprint to End Hunger

Creative Collaboration: UMB 1st Drive-Thru
Design that demonstrates interdepartmental synergy and partnership

UMB 1st Drive-Thru

Honorable Mention Visionary Award: More than a CANstruction

More than a CANstruction

Honorable Mention Mission Driven Award: Consumer North Metro

Consumer North Metro

Honorable Mention Most Creative Name: Warhccanart

Warhccanart

People’s Choice Best in Show: Operation: Wingman
Award determined by more than 515 online votes

Operation Wingman (side)

Mr. deSilva is president and chief operating officer of UMB Financial Corporation. He is also vice chairman of UMB Bank, n.a. Mr. deSilva joined UMB in January 2004. He is primarily responsible for UMB's fee-producing business units and product lines, including Scout Investments; UMB Fund Services, UMB Healthcare Services Payment Solutions, Prairie Capital Management. Additionally, he is responsible for all corporate operations, technology, properties, security and marketing.

Leave a Comment

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

Jackson County CASA: Light of Hope

|  Posted by

Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) is a national nonprofit network of 946 programs that recruit, train and support volunteers to represent the best interests of abused and neglected children in the courtroom and other settings.

Continue Reading

Since 1983, Jackson County CASA has existed as one of seven local CASA affiliates providing services to children and families in the Kansas City metropolitan area. Each year, there are nearly 3,000 children in the Jackson County court jurisdiction who suffer from abuse and neglect. And even with the involvement of every dedicated volunteer at Jackson County CASA, they can serve only 1,000 of those 3,000 children.

To better serve these children, CASA hosts an annual fundraising breakfast to raise awareness and donations for this great organization. I was proud to serve as honorary chair of the 13th Annual CASA Light of Hope Breakfast on April 18, 2013. Take a look at this video to see what this truly wonderful organization is doing to help abused and neglected children in Jackson County.

Visit jacksoncountycasa-mo.org to support CASA and/or to learn more about the organization’s programs and services.

Leave a Comment

Happy Independence Day

|  Posted by

Happy Independence Day to our readers!

American Flag

Continue Reading

We hope that you have a safe and happy holiday. On this day we recognize our independence and freedom as a nation. We remember those who have fought to obtain and preserve that freedom on this day and every day.

UMB Financial Corporation (Nasdaq: UMBF) is a financial services holding company headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., offering complete banking, payment solutions, asset servicing and institutional investment management to customers. UMB operates banking and wealth management centers throughout Missouri, Illinois, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Arizona. It also has a loan production office in Texas. Subsidiaries of the holding company include mutual fund and alternative investment services groups, single-purpose companies that deal with brokerage services and insurance, and a registered investment advisor that manages the company's proprietary mutual funds and investment advisory accounts for institutional customers.

Leave a Comment

Big fun at UMB Big Bash®

|  Posted by

Last week we had BIG fun at the third annual UMB Big Bash®. Huey Lewis & The News put on a fantastic show at The Midland and we raised $100,000 for Drumm Farm Center for Children (Drumm Farm) and Turner House Children’s Clinic (Turner House).

Continue Reading

We want to say a big thank you to:

• Our sponsors and additional supporters, for helping raise money for two wonderful Kansas City non-profits
  • Our vendors, for providing delicious food for the concert-goers
  • The numerous people and organizations who donated items and trips to the silent auction
  • The people of Kansas City for giving us another sold out concert for our big fundraiser

Everyone had a great time at the show. Take a look.

UMB Big Bash 2013

Photo courtesy of Mark McDonald Photography

Pictured from left to right: Jim Rine (UMB President, Kansas City region), Brad Smith (Executive Director. Drumm Farm), Kathy Killip (Board President, Drumm Farm), Peter deSilva (UMB president and chief operating officer)

UMB Big Bash 2013

Pictured from left to right: Jim Rine (UMB President, Kansas City region), Skip Gast (Board President, Turner House), Janet Burton (Executive Director, Turner House), Peter deSilva (UMB president and chief operating officer)

UMB Big Bash 2013

UMB Big Bash 2013

Read One Comment

Tagged: , , ,

UMB Big Bash® beneficiaries: Drumm Farm and Turner House are doing big things in Kansas City

|  Posted by

Have you heard of Drumm Farm Center for Childrenor Turner House Children’s Clinic? These two organizations are doing amazing work right here in Kansas City to support local children. And they just happen to have been chosen to be the two beneficiaries of the 2013 UMB Big Bash®.

Continue Reading

Drumm Farm Center for Children farmers market gardenDrumm Farm Center for Children (Drumm Farm) supports children in foster care and their foster families. Their mission is “to provide stable nurturing environments for children in foster care, keep siblings together, and inspire lifelong connections by being a resource for children and families.”

Drumm Farm provides support programs, counseling services and on-campus accommodations, and offer stability for children in foster care. The on-site housing combined with support from the professionals on staff creates a home environment where both the families and the children can work toward achieving permanency.

One of their more unique programs is the Drumm Farm Farmer’s Market. Open from May through September, this program includes a three-acre garden and small livestock. The children on campus help with farm operations, so they can learn valuable life skills and connect with nature. The Drumm Farm Farmer’s Market is open to the public from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday from May through September.

Drumm Farm also provides programs to transition young adults who have aged out of the foster care system. The staff provides instruction, life-skill development and supervision to prepare these children to be successful adults.

Turner House Children's Clinic flu shotTurner House Children’s Clinic (Turner House) serves low income, uninsured and underserved children in the Kansas City Metro. Their goal is “to ensure that underserved and uninsured children have a medical home in which they receive quality affordable healthcare to treat acute conditions, prevent disease through regular well-child exams and immunizations, and manage chronic conditions such as asthma and obesity.”

Turner House serves approximately 4,000 patients and completes more than 9,200 visits each year. They offer many services, including well-baby and well-child physicals; school and sports physicals; immunizations, same day sick child appointments, hearing and vision screenings, developmental screenings, referrals to specialists and Medicaid enrollment. They also provide patient and community education. Turner House is open each weekday plus two evenings a week and Saturday mornings. This expanded schedule helps keep children away from expensive, non-urgent emergency room visits.

Each year, Turner House offers Back to School Physicals. Between July 1st and Sept. 30th, they provide close to 1,000 children with physicals and immunizations before they go back to school. Without up-to-date shots, children are in danger of being exposed to childhood diseases, which can keep them from attending school and expose other children. When area school districts realized several years ago there were large numbers of children without current physicals and shots, they decided to strictly enforce state immunizations requirements. Turner House works to ensure these children are healthy and ready to go back to school in the fall.

You’re probably wondering, “What can I do to support these two fantastic organizations?” Of course I encourage you to volunteer or make a donation, but you can also have big fun supporting Drumm Farm and Turner House by attending UMB Big Bash on June 20. The annual fundraiser will include a concert by Huey Lewis and The News, as well as great food from local Kansas City restaurants and a silent auction.

Leave a Comment

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Thank you to our veterans

|  Posted by

I was recently at an event hosted by Facing History‡, an organization that creates history curriculum that teaches kids to be more tolerant. One of the speakers at the event was a girl who received an award for an art project. Her guest that evening was her grandmother, a holocaust survivor. They told an amazing story and I walked away from that event with a renewed commitment to never forget our men and women in uniform.

Staff Sergeant James D. Shearer, United States Air Force, and Mariner KemperUMB Bank Colorado honored veterans,
including Staff Sergeant James D.
Shearer, United States Air Force.

Continue Reading

As the last of the World War II survivors pass on, I am reminded that my children, and frankly anyone younger than 60, don’t really know what it is to sacrifice in a time of war. We are currently in at least two wars right now. But do you notice on a daily basis? The answer is probably no. There are no food rations. Or fuel taxes to support the war. It is a shameful reality of our society.

As our men and women return from combat duty, they are not greeted with a hero’s welcome. We expect them to reintegrate into a society that has not acknowledged their sacrifices. Or the sacrifices of their families. These people have volunteered to put themselves in harm’s way to protect us. To protect our children. They ensure we can continue to live our lives uninterrupted.

My father served in the Navy and he still maintains the sense of pride they instilled in him so many years ago. It is incredible to see how these veterans have somehow managed to maintain the lost art of social graces and respect. They stand when someone enters the room and say sir and ma’am, while the rest of us seem to have forgotten how to treat each other.

So, what can we do to support these fine men and women? First and foremost, we can say thank you. We can give up our prime seat on an airplane or offer to pick up their sandwich at the local deli. A thank you can go a long way. But it’s not enough. There are numerous organizations in your communities that are specifically designated to assist veterans and their families, especially those in need. Below you will find a list of websites and resources in your community.

This has always been a passion of mine, and of UMB’s. We celebrate veterans with an annual event across our footprint and help the Marines with their Toys for Tots program. We hire as many veterans as possible. But we could, and should be doing more. Send us your ideas on how we can support veterans in our communities. This is a group effort. We should find as many ways to show our gratitude as possible.

And to veterans past, present and future: Thank you. Thank you for volunteering to protect millions of people you have never met. Thank you for ensuring we have the freedom to express our thoughts and for protecting our rights and liberties. There is no other place in the world where you have the ability to build something; to create a business in our unique free market system. And it is because of these brave men and women. Thank you, from all of us.

Resources:

Mr. Kemper is the chairman and chief executive officer of UMB Financial Corporation and UMB Bank, n.a. He joined UMB in 1997. Mr. Kemper is active in both civic and philanthropic endeavors. One of the causes he is most passionate about is the arts. He currently serves as a trustee and executive committee member for the Denver Art Museum and is a past board member for The Arts Council of Metropolitan Kansas City.

Read 5 Comments

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Oklahoma tornado: How to help

|  Posted by

Oklahoma

In light of the recent severe weather in Oklahoma, many have asked how they can help. See below for information on how you can assist some of the organizations on the ground and helping those who have been impacted. Check umb.com for updates.

Continue Reading

American Red Cross

The Red Cross has set up shelters in various communities. You can donate to the Red Cross Disaster Relief fund at redcross.org. The organization also suggests giving blood at your local hospital or blood bank. If you want to send a $10 donation to the Disaster Relief fund via text message, you can do so by texting the word REDCROSS to 90999. The donation will show up on your wireless bill, or be deducted from your balance if you have a prepaid phone. You need to be 18 or older, or have parental permission, to donate this way. (If you change your mind, text the word STOP to 90999.  Additional information can be found here‡.)

Phone: 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767); for Spanish speakers, 1-800-257-7575; for TDD, 1-800-220-4095

Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is organizing disaster response units to serve hard-hit areas in central Oklahoma, including Moore, where it is sending mobile kitchens that can serve meals to 2,500 people a day, and to South Oklahoma City. Supporters can donate online via the organization’s website, SalvationArmyUSA.org. You can also text the word STORM to 80888 to make a $10 donation via cell phone.  To confirm your gift, respond with the word “Yes”.

If you want to send a check, the Salvation Army asks that you put the words “Oklahoma Tornado Relief” on the check, and mail it to: The Salvation Army, P.O. Box 12600, Oklahoma City, OK, 73157.

Phone:  1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769)

United Way of Central Oklahoma

The organization’s disaster relief fund was activated on May 20 so that individuals can specifically donate to tornado relief and recovery efforts, the organization says on its site.

“Financial contributions are the best way to help unless otherwise requested.” Donations can be made online at United Way of Central Oklahoma’s Disaster Relief Fund. Donations may be made online here. Checks, with a notation of “May Tornado Relief” can also be sent to the United Way of Central Oklahoma, P.O. Box 837, Oklahoma City, OK, 73101.

Feeding America

Feeding America’s mission is to “feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks”.  It is committed to providing hunger relief services during times of disaster and beyond, remaining in communities long after the first-responders leave and news of the disaster fades from national coverage. During this time, they will be mobilizing 200 hundred food banks and 61,000 agencies. To assist them in their efforts, you can donate online here‡.

Phone: 1-800-771-2303

UMB Financial Corporation (Nasdaq: UMBF) is a financial services holding company headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., offering complete banking, payment solutions, asset servicing and institutional investment management to customers. UMB operates banking and wealth management centers throughout Missouri, Illinois, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Arizona. It also has a loan production office in Texas. Subsidiaries of the holding company include mutual fund and alternative investment services groups, single-purpose companies that deal with brokerage services and insurance, and a registered investment advisor that manages the company's proprietary mutual funds and investment advisory accounts for institutional customers.

Leave a Comment

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

Page 2 of 212