Economic update 2018: Check the rearview, but stay focused on the windshield
We recently wrapped up our annual Economic Forecast tour across much of our footprint, and it’s notable how much the conversation shifted in some areas, yet stayed the same in others, during this time.
As investment managers, this is something we’re accustomed to—on one hand, we know there will be noise from news events, that may or may not culminate in actual market disruptors. And on the other, we understand there will be true economic shifts that have sustainable and meaningful impact.
As we shared with our 2018 theme, “Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolves,” one important item is being able to discern between the real threats and the ones that are merely disguised as such. Take a look at the following media coverage from our recent presentations, to learn more about our 2018 forecast and the items we believe will be influential over the next year.
* KC. Mathews, CFA, Chief Investment Officer, UMB Bank‡, KRLD Radio, March 26
* In Market: The Art of the Trade Deal?,‡ Fort Worth Business Press, March 23
* This bank is pitching clients on commodities despite trade war worries‡, Dallas business Journal, March 27
* Is the U.S. entering a trade spat or a trade war?‡, ColoradoBiz Magazine, March 20
* Paola company hopes a slow boat from Korea can beat steel tariff start‡, Kansas City Business Journal, March 14
* Here’s one way the Trump tax cuts might cost jobs, hurt your career‡, Phoenix Business Journal, March 5
* Mathews: Political issues are not material nor sustainable to market‡, Kansas City Business Journal, February 16
* Indictment-related market moves not material nor sustainable‡, CNBC, February 16
* Economic mantra for 2018: Don’t panic‡, Ingram’s, February 13
* UMB Advisers: Don’t get spooked by economic Big Bad Wolves‡, Kansas City Business Journal, February 12
* Bear market not likely, but wolves are lurking, UMB strategist warns‡, Denver Post
* Jobs are in tax law’s title, but they may be elusive‡, St. Louis Post Dispatch, January 7
Be sure to register for our free Q1 Economic Recap entitled: “Risk? What Risk?” presented by UMB’s Investment Management Team on April 10, at 10 a.m. CST.
Based on this article, we think you might also be interested in reading the following:
When you click links marked with the “‡” symbol, you will leave UMB’s website and go to websites that are not controlled by or affiliated with UMB. We have provided these links for your convenience. However, we do not endorse or guarantee any products or services you may view on other sites. Other websites may not follow the same privacy policies and security procedures that UMB does, so please review their policies and procedures carefully.