In early March, following the failure of Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank, Moody’s Investors Service announced their plans to review UMB’s rating, along with several other banks.
Today Moody’s announced that UMB Financial Corporation’s credit rating changed to Baa1. This is a high-quality investment grade rating, above U.S. median, and among the highest globally. Moody’s has also retained our stable ratings outlook for the year.
Financial highlights: What to know about our model
We have a diverse, long-term deposit base, access to a variety of funding sources, solid capital levels and excellent asset quality.
- At March 31, 2023, end-of-period deposits were approximately $32.0 billion, up more than $1 billion since March 9, 2023, just prior to the failure of Silicon Valley Bank. At December 31, 2022, deposit balances were $32.6 billion.
- For the first quarter of 2023 (1Q’23) average deposits were approximately $31.6 billion, compared to $31.4 billion for the fourth quarter of 2022 (4Q’22)
- 1Q’23 average demand deposits were approximately $11.9 billion, or approximately 38% of total average deposits
- At March 31, 2023, the total estimated uninsured deposits were $21.5 billion or approximately 67% of deposits. However, the adjusted ratio of estimated uninsured deposits, excluding affiliate and collateralized deposits, as a percentage of total deposits was approximately 44%.
- End-of-period loans as of March 31, 2023, increased approximately $800 million since year-end 2022.
- Average loan balances for 1Q’23 were approximately $21.3 billion compared to $20.3 billion for 4Q’22.
- Loan-to-deposit ratio was approximately 68% based on end-of-period balances and 67% on a quarterly average basis.
It’s business as usual (BAU) at UMB
These and many other factors are why we will continue to serve our customers and communities, not just today and tomorrow, but another century from now.
Learn more about UMB’s history of stability as a 110-year old financial institution. Stay informed on industry trends and noteworthy company news by visiting our Industry News section on umb.com.